Red, White and Blue Bake Recipe
Low calories, sweet and delicious are just a few ways to describe this patriotic dessert dish just in time for an Independence Day cookout! Not only does this recipe only call for just FOUR all-star ingredients, but it's also gluten and lactose free! Here’s to a healthier, happier U.S.A.!
Did you know?
Quick Ingredient Highlights:
- Quinoa is an extremely versatile grain crop that is actually related to spinach! Just a ½ cup of this superfood has 4g of protein, 3g of fiber, 0g cholesterol and even contains 9 essential amino acids.
- Blueberries have been found to decrease blood pressure, manage blood sugar levels, decrease heart disease and improve bone health. A ½ cup of Blueberries has 0g of fat, 7g of sugar and is loaded with antioxidants, Vitamins C and K and manganese.
- Strawberries are one of the most widely-known fruits as they are produced almost entirely everywhere world-wide. A cup of Strawberries has 150% Daily Value of Vitamin C and 9% DV of Folate.
- Cocowhip is a non-dairy alternative to cool whip. Calorically, the two creams are comparable, coconut milk and/or cream has been shown to contain substantial amounts of iron, niacin and copper. Though pre-made whips can be found in most grocery store freezers, easy-make recipes are also available.
Prep Time: 15-30 minutes | Bake time: 45 minutes | Calories per serving: 113
Makes 12 servings.
- 3 cups Quinoa (666 calories)
- 2 cups Blueberries (170 calories)
- 3 cups Strawberries (160 calories)
- 1 ½ cup Cocowhip (360 calories)
- Boil 6 cups quinoa in water on stove until completely cooked.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet then spread cooked quinoa evenly onto baking sheet forming about a 13" x 18" rectangle.
- Place blueberries side by side in top, left hand corner forming about a 5" x 7" rectangle.
- Halve strawberries, then place side by side in a straight line or stripe from top to bottom lengthwise leaving a little bit of space between rows for cocowhip white stripes (applied later).- Place in oven to bake for 45 minutes or until fully baked to likeness. Check every fifteen minutes.
- Take out of oven and let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Apply thin layer of cocowhip in between strawberry stripes and blueberries.
- Cut into 12 proportionate pieces like a cake and enjoy!
Click HERE to learn more about the Wellview services available to you. We can’t wait to work with you!
– Casey Edmonds, CHC
Health Advisor | Email Casey