Put Some Avocados in Your Life
The avocado has several health benefits and can be a helpful part of a successful weight-management program. Check this out. Its monounsaturated fat speeds up the basal metabolic rate, as compared with saturated fat. Its healthy fat content gives a quicker feeling of satiation (fullness), thus helping to reduce overeating. Its high monounsaturated fat content makes an overall sound diet more palatable, reducing the temptation to binge on foods high in sugars or saturated fats. Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins, and folic acid. They also act as a "nutrient booster" by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene and lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit. So, yea. Avocados are good for you. And you'll love this recipe.
Avocado-Tomato Melt Sandwich
Yields: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 min
- 4 English muffins, split
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 to 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced thin
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven broiler to high. Under the broiler, toast English muffin halves on a baking sheet until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Top each muffin half with sliced avocados and sliced tomatoes; lightly salt the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle chopped basil leaves over the tomatoes. Put a layer of mozzarella cheese over the basil, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, and top with black pepper.
- Broil prepared muffin halves for approximately 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove from oven and enjoy!