Functional Training & Exercise: Just Move
As someone who is fairly active, I’ve been having some trouble getting motivated to move while staying at home amidst the Covid 19 pandemic. I feel like life has been placed on hold while we wait this whole thing out. Yes, it can be frustrating when you’re limited in what you can do. However, I want to share with you how you can keep your sanity while at home with your children and have some family fitness fun. First, we need to learn how to apply the 5 tiers of human movement that we all use daily:
- Locomotion – walking, jogging, running.
- Level Changes – sitting and standing, lifting high reaching low, etc.
- Pushing –moving something away from the body
- Pulling - moving something closer to the body
- Rotation – twisting, turning, spinning
As a Personal Trainer, I apply the 5 tiers of human movement to every session with my clients. No matter what level you start at, my message to you is “Just Move.” When it comes to specific exercises, I’m often asked, “Am I doing this right?” Good form comes in many different variations which is determined by several factors, plus there are mays ways to do something right. Start off by being smart about your current level of fitness and begin by incorporating incremental bouts of exercise into your daily routine. It doesn’t have to be intense; you just have to start moving intentionally for 30 minutes out of your day.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Stand up and stretch at least 3-5x during your workday for about 3-5minutes to increase blood flow and muscle activation.
- Visualize the body you want and take one action step towards that goal. i.e. walking during your lunch break.
- Break up your exercise routine into manageable increments (10-15min) throughout the day.
- Incorporate play with your children.
Just move. Whether you are dancing, walking, or playing around with your kids, you will find that your mind, body, and emotional state will improve as well as your health and vitality because this pandemic shall pass.
Stay healthy and safe!
Click HERE to learn more about the Wellview services available to you. We can’t wait to work with you!
– Louis Allen, CSCS
Personal Trainer| Email Louis