Those that celebrate Easter know that there are 2 foods in abundance for that whole following week: chocolate and dyed hard-boiled eggs. As long as the eggs are not kept out of the fridge for more than 4 hours, they can be perfectly safe to eat once the colorful shell is peeled off. It's not hard to find ways to eat all that chocolate, but what can be done to prevent food waste from the eggs? Below are a few creative ideas with accompanying recipes from some favorite blogs!
1. Of course, the classic go-to is egg salad. To make it healthier, swap half the mayonnaise for plain hummus, mashed avocado, or Greek yogurt. The hummus and avocado adds a bit more fiber and more healthy fats for a heart-healthy swap, or the yogurt will reduce the fat content and amp up the protein and calcium. Otherwise, prepare it the same way with dijon mustard and your favorite spices. Try this tangy egg salad.
---> A lower-carb option: spoon the egg salad onto celery or cucumber rather than bread.
2. Deviled eggs can also be made in a similarly healthier way. Omit half the egg yolks for the mixture, and try the same healthier swaps (hummus, avocado, Greek yogurt). The difference in the amount of yolks really doesn't make a difference in the flavor or texture and will cut the fat content in half right away! Try these mayonnaise-free deviled eggs.
3. You can also just slice them and put them on toast with mashed avocado, tomato, and arugula for a "fancy toast" that would cost far more per serving at a restaurant!
4. Make it the feature of a homemade ramen soup like this recipe.
5. Turns out, you can make cookies with them. Who knew! This recipe has an average of 4.8 out of 5 stars so we're sure it'll be a hit in your home.
6. Mix them into a potato salad to snack on throughout the week. Here's a lower-carb option that uses cauliflower instead of potatoes (you can just do half and half to make everyone happy).
We hope you enjoy these egg-cellent (sorry, it had to be done) recipe ideas! We would love to hear about your favorite ways to prepare egg salad. We know that very family has its favorite special ingredient!
Click HERE to learn more about the Wellview services available to you. We can’t wait to work with you!
– Samantha Marks, RD, LDN
Registered Dietitian | Email Samantha