GOOD news Fall fans! Pumpkins are full of disease fighting antioxidants, fiber that helps with digestion, iron that can help prevent illness and potassium which aids in a healthy blood pressure. The BETTER news is that it is the season of the pumpkin-themed holiday. Perhaps more importantly though, seasons and holidays are among a few reminders to change things up, and our breakfast routine can often use a little switcheroo. Don't be fooled though; a healthy and delicious breakfast treat does not have to be complicated. The BEST news is that there is a recipe just in time for the holiday and fall weather, and it is sure to leave you and your family excited about this breakfast treat!
Microwave Pumpkin Muffin
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 160
- Carbs: 16g
- Protein: 9g
- Fat: 6g
- Sugar: 2g
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup steel cut quick oats
- 2 tbsp canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond or coconut milk (optional)
- 2 tsp stevia
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: ½ tsp-1 tsp of Pumpkin spice
- In a large coffee mug, whip together the egg, pumpkin puree, stevia, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Add and mix in oats.
- Pour in almond or coconut milk for desired consistency.
- Place mug in the microwave and heat on high for about 60 seconds.
- Keep a close eye as the muffin rises.
- Remove from microwave and test to see if the muffin top is firm. IF not, microwave for additional 15 seconds or until top is firm.
- Let set until cool.
- Flip mug over onto a flat plate to empty the muffin.
TIP: Make it fun for the kids and see who can decorate their muffin so that it looks like a spooky pumpkin ready for HALLOWEEN! Click HERE to learn more about the Wellview services available to you. We can’t wait to work with you!
– CASEY EDMONDS, CHWC, CPT, CMS
Health Advisor | Email Casey