It's fall, and it seems that everywhere you look there are pumpkin products being advertised. I thought it would be fitting to add to the list with this healthy version of a pumpkin pie smoothie. Not only is this a healthy alternative to many of the pumpkin temptations like ice cream, cookies, beer and frappuccinos, it may help curb that sweet tooth when it rears its head.This healthy treat can be a good start to your day or even possibly an alternative to your traditional pumpkin pie dessert at Thanksgiving. Try individual servings in fun glasses with a drop of lite cool whip. Plus, nutritionally, this member of the squash family provides a number of health benefits, including the following per 1 cup serving:
- Only 50 calories
- Your daily recommended value of vitamin A, crucial for healthy vision
- Beta-carotene, an anti-oxidant (also carotenoid that is converted to vitamin A) shown to support the prevention of certain cancers
- More potassium than a banana, boasting over 500 mg
- 2 g protein
Keep in mind too, that these health benefits are just those from the pumpkin itself. The recipe below includes a number of healthy ingredients that will make your body thank you!
Healthy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 pinch of ground ginger
- ½ cup pumpkin puree, canned or freshly cooked
- ¾ cup almond, soy, or regular milk
- 1 scoop vanilla or cinnamon bun protein powder (this is not mandatory but will provide the recommended 25-30 g of protein in the smoothie; you could also try a tbsp. of Oikos Triple zero vanilla Greek yogurt or Siggi’s vanilla yogurt instead)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
Blend all ingredients together and add ice if you want a thicker consistency. Enjoy!