Turkish Delight...The Salad Version
When searching for a new healthy recipe, it's important to target variety and color. Furthermore, I suggest trying to get at least one serving of each of the following fruit and vegetable categories:
- Dark green, leafy vegetables
- Yellow or orange fruits and vegetables'
- Red fruits and vegetables
- Legumes(beans) and peas
- Citrus fruits
This healthy recipe contains a lot of healthy vegetables. Most notably is tomatoes which are rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that has been linked with lower rates of a variety of cancers, particularly lung, stomach, and prostate cancer. This salad also includes an assortment of texture and color, making it very appealing for an appetizer and/or healthy snack.
Turkish Shepherd Salad
(Yield: 4 servings)Ingredients:
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz crumbled tomato& basil feta cheese
- A small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar pepper, to taste
Preparation:Coarsely chop cucumber and onion, and halve your tomatoes; and transfer into a bowl. Add your oil and vinegar and toss well. Season your salad to your appeal with pepper. Transfer to serving plates and top with crumbled feta cheese.