Love is in the air!
There is no better way to show how much you care than by taking some time to whip up a sweet Valentine’s Day dessert for your special someone.Helping you do just that is this low fat, low sugar warm vanilla dessert cake which can be whipped up in under ten minutes. The quick bake option is made possible by using the now-popular method of baking via a large coffee mug in the microwave. If this is your first time making a mug cake, then keep in mind that some mug cakes are made using the highest power in your microwave. However, this one should be made using low to medium power (25-50%). Reducing the power does require that the dessert bake a bit longer, but by doing so, helps the mug cake mimic the fluffy texture of an oven baked cake.
Here’s what you need per mug:
- 3 tbsp white whole wheat flour *
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut or almond milk
- 1 tbsp plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ⅜ tsp stevia
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- 1/16 tsp himalayan sea salt
- ¼ tsp extra virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 15-20 drops vanilla creme stevia
- 10-12 raspberries
- Lightly coat a large (at least one cup) coffee mug with non stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, stevia, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, stir together the oil, Greek yogurt and milk.
- Gradually stir in the vanilla extract and vanilla creme stevia.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture about a spoonful at a time. The mixture should be thick yet creamy.
- Pour the batter into the large coffee mug, and place in the microwave on 25-30% power for 2-3 ½ minutes.
- Let the mug cake cool for a few minutes then top with 5-6 fresh raspberries.
*For those of you in need of a gluten free option, learn how to properly sub flour for a gluten free option here.
** Recipe adapted from Amy's Healthy Baking
Click HERE to learn more about the Wellview services available to you. We can’t wait to work with you!
– CASEY EDMONDS, CHC
Health Advisor | Email Casey