Every time I hear someone say, “I will never eat kale!” I think, "Oh, but you haven’t tried my favorite kale salad recipe!" If there were ever a recipe that might convert someone to eating kale, it would be this one. I had it for lunch the other day and my 10 year old came in, saw it, and her eyes lit up. “Is that…the salad? Can I have some?!”
When it comes to assessing how good a healthy recipe is, there may be no greater testimonial than from that of a 10 year old. This salad is good. It’s not good for being plant-based. It’s not good for being a kale salad. It’s stand-alone good. And, really, that’s how I want all my food to be: just plain good. I never want my nutrition to be at the expense of taste or enjoyment. So, that’s why I love this salad so much. In addition to it being nutritious and simple to prepare, it’s also delicious.
Kale Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
(adapted by Terry Walters, author of Clean Food)
- 8 cups kale, stems removed and cut or torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 Avocado, slightly softened
- 1 TBL Lemon Juice
- 1 TBL Olive oil (optional)
- 1-3 cloves of garlic (to taste), minced
- Salt to taste
- Halved cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Diced jalapeno (optional)
- Put the chopped kale into a bowl and add the avocado, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.
- Use your hands and fingertips to incorporate ingredients until everything is well blended and distributed amongst the kale. It’s messy, but this technique helps soften up the fibrous leaves and makes them easier to eat.
- Serve immediately.
- You can adjust the amounts of the avocado, olive oil and lemon juice to suit texture and taste. The more you use, the creamier and more dressed the salad will be. I often omit the olive oil or just do a quick drizzle, as I find the avocado is more than enough to create a satisfying base for the dressing.
- Finish with salt to taste and welcome to Team Kale.
Click HERE to learn more about the Wellview services available to you. We can’t wait to work with you!
– Jeanne Torre, MSW, LCSW, NBC-HWC
Health Advisor | Email Jeanne